Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Biograpghy
Hello my name is Jose Manuel Fernandez Jr. I was born in Chicago, Illinois and moved to Naples, Florida when I was 11 years old. I lived near Chicago’s Midway Airport and lived two blocks away from my Catholic School, Our Lady of the Snows (Pre-School through 8th Grade). I played pee-wee soccer in Catholic School and loved it. My parents split, so my mother took me and my siblings to Naples, Florida where I finished off my 5th Grade year at Naples Park Elementary School. The transition from coming from one of the largest cities to a small one was difficult, but attending Pine Ridge Middle School helped. Pine Ridge Middle School was where I picked up the trombone in the 6th Grade. Being in the band really kept me busy and I just fell in love playing with the trombone. High School came along and attended Barron G. Collier. There I joined the Cougar Marching Band to later being its Captain the 2009-2010 year. I led the band to Superior Ratings at the Florida Bandmasters Association, which hasn’t happened since 1994. Besides being in band, the U.S. Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) attracted me because I had a strong military interest. I rose through the ranks ending as a Cadet Lieutenant Colonel my senior year. In high school, I thought about enlisting in the United States Marine Corps to play my trombone, but I chose to attend college instead hoping to get a Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarship from any of the three armed forces branches. I didn’t get any of the scholarships and was denied from FSU and USF. I was however accepted to University of Illinois at Chicago, Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont, and Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University (FAMU). Of course I couldn’t afford out of state tuition and applied to Florida Gulf Coast University.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Jose, I've been to Naples to go to stock car races with my dad. You being from another state is really cool. I've always lived in Florida and in the same city too. I hear Chicago has good deep dish pizza, is that actually true?
ReplyDeleteI love the band, my school has a really good band, they would play in lunch sometimes and played pirate themed songs at my graduation, since my school is home of the pirates. My cousin is in band now, he’s the drummer and he’s super good at it and he goes to competitions as well.
As for you not getting into FSU I didn’t either. I cried when I didn’t get in I wanted to go there so badly, but I love it here in FGCU. College is just so expensive FSU would have been way more then FGCU. I think FSU is a bit overrated anyway. See you in class and around school.
Your Friend,
Melanie
Hey Jose,
ReplyDeleteI find it ironic that you went to my arch-rival school Barron Collier. I attended Gulf Coast High School and it seems like our two schools were always in a debate about who was better at everything. I think it’s pretty cool that you were the band captain for Barron’s band. Each year you guys always have a great band, and it is impressive that you led them last year. I guess I will have to give the edge to you guys for your band, I have never seen a band that can dance and play at the same time.