Monday, July 5, 2010
Observing My Backyard
In my backyard I see the big man-made pond. The bright sun is out finally and feeling the heat. Everything that I see was made by man, but nature has taken over. Algae is in the water and the creatures inside the pond swim all over. The fish are small, but that is because the Herons eat the bigger fish as I see it them now. Since today is good-looking outdoors, I can smell a barbeque even though there is a ridiculous rule in my neighborhood that we are not allowed to cook outside. If the adults are out and about them their children are as well. The little children are laughing, playing, and running in other people’s yards. From what I see and hear, they do not notice how one day if the world may lose its green. Hopefully when they get older they will stop to smell the fresh air, taste the rain if it shall fall, feel the sun beating on their skin, see how beautiful or ugly the outdoors are, and perhaps hear younger children play. Until they see what I see right now, which in my opinion is a nice day to be outside; they will never know until they sit and listen as I am doing right now. Eventually, they will appreciate the details in the ground and in the sky. Since the man-made pond is the first thing I see, moving closer I see garbage. Now my generation is aware that our planet is slowly falling apart. I personally enjoy taking time out of my day to appreciate everything that is natural. After knowing that it could disappear concerns me. So seeing trash in the pond upsets me, so I act.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I always seem to feel that a body of water can heal everything for me; water is quite calming and relaxing for my mind. Your pond sounds absolutely wonderful and adding in your descriptions of the children’s voices at play and the smells of the great outdoors makes it all the more welcoming. I like the way you compare how they see the outdoors today and how they should be noticing more in the future. How the algae in the pond is growing immensely and making the water seem cloudy and grow ugly at the same time is my favorite part. All in all, your view of the backyard was interesting and enjoyable for everyone, including myself.
ReplyDeleteWow Jose the area behind your house reminds me exactly of the of the one that I use to live in. Behind my house we had a man made pond and you could also see all of the algae and little fish moving around in the pond. My neighborhood also has a ton of young children playing making sure there kids are playing safely outside. I guess all the neighborhoods in Naples are pretty much the same lol.
ReplyDeleteHey Jose!(:
ReplyDeleteI understand what you mean when you talk about the man made pond being your sanctuary. I always feel relaxed when I'm around bodies of water. I love going outside just to sit down and listen to my surroundings. It has always calmed me down from the problems that surrounded me.